Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Survival Tips for Mom's

I have a few simple "rules" that I live by as a Mom that have been key to helping my days go a little smoother.

Rule # 1:
If the kids are playing well by themselves, LEAVE THEM ALONE! Getting dressed, lunch, grocery shopping, even naps can wait, because most likely this peace will last no longer than 20 minutes, but I can sure get a lot done, or relax a bit, in those 20 minutes!
For example as I type my kids are busy making a fort under the kitchen table, using pillows, blankets and toys. It is supposed to be "break time" for Luke, but for the moment, he is content, so I am too. This also leads me into my next rule.

Rule #2:
If the mess they are making will keep them entertained for longer than it takes us to pick up, then the mess is completely justified. (As long as the mess poses no harm to self or property!)
Just the other day Luke and Isaac got out all of the picture books we own (which being a former elementary school teacher is quite a lot) and made a path from the family room, through the kitchen, down the hall and into their rooms. This kept them busy for at least 45 minutes and took less than 5 for the three of us to pick up, so this mess was completely justified! And it was really cute to hear where the path was taking them, to the park, to Papa's House, to the train store, to the jungle etc.



I love being home with my kids, and these rules are part of the reason why!
And here are some really cute things that my kids have been saying lately. First, Isaac is being potty trained right now, and is sort of struggling with the #2 part. The other day at church he kept telling me a bee was hurting him. I was really confused, and then I noticed that whenever he said it, he was pointing to his bottom, so I finally asked him if he needed to go potty, and he said YES! I don't know where he got the bee thing from, but if that is how he wants to tell me, that is fine with me! Luke has been picking up on phrases and using them all the time. One of his favorites right now is "Wait a second!" He will be telling you a story and when he finishes it, say "Wait a second, I think... and then go off on a whole new story. He also has been saying, "That makes sense." He will ask me if something makes sense, usually something like, "Do trees make sense?" What funny kids!! They really do keep me laughing, and if they have done something that frustrates me, I just tell the story to Tyler and he is sure to find something to laugh about, which helps me to remember that it is better to laugh than get frustrated!
Well, my 20 minutes of entertained kids is officially over, Luke is right at my elbow telling me to "hurry and get to the end", so I guess this is the end of this post!

3 comments:

Mom Box said...

I hope you don't mind but I copy/pasted this to my letter to Dan today. I thought he would enjoy it. Tried and true rules by mom's the world-round! IF they are smart like you.

Tera said...

I loved your rules! You are such a great mom. I also really like the blog change. Very nice!

Kim said...

I've decided when I get married and have kids, I better live right down the street from you so you can help me be as great as a mom as you are :)