Sunday, December 7, 2008

My Grandma



My Grandma White passed away on Saturday morning.  My mom was there holding her hand. She was my last living grandparent and will be greatly missed.  It is a comfort to know where she is and that she is with my grandpa again. Here are some of my favorite memories of her.  

She was like the quintessential grandma.  She made the best cookies and rolls.  I have managed to make rolls that are pretty close to being as good as hers, but I can never get my chocolate chip cookies to taste quite as good! 

She loved to read and shop, which are also some of my favorite things to do!  We spent the night at her house many times, and I loved hearing the trains go by at night.  She lived across the street from a park and a library, and down the street from a little drug store that had the best malts that my cousin and I would love to go get.  We also loved to play in the irrigation water and the mud it left behind.  She would step on my belly if I was laying on the ground and she was walking by.  We also loved to play dungeon in her basement where we were trying to escape by finding the right key, which were actually the pins from her hair curlers. Before my grandpa passed away, they had a huge garden and her and my mom would can yummy food from it. Green beans, tomatoes, peaches, apricots, and my favorite, peas, but I liked to eat them straight from the pod.  She also loved to do family history work and would tell me all the interesting names that she came across and tell me I should use them for my kids. She also always told me I had the cutest kids she had ever seen.
I love my grandma and miss her and wish that I could have seen her one last time.  But I know she is happy and with my grandpa and that I will see them again.  I'm glad I know this. I don't know how people deal with losing those they love without the knowledge that they will see each other again.

3 comments:

Tera said...

I am so sorry about your loss! Thanks for sharing a little about her and your own testimony of life after death.

Kellie said...

I'm so sorry about your grandma. I feel bad I didn't know last night or today when I talked to you. I just went through this a month ago, so I know it's bitter sweet. Thinking of you.

Kimbrough's in St. Louis said...

It is never easy losing a loved one. But at least there is comfort in knowing that you will see her again and that she is with your grandpa again.