Thursday, March 20, 2008

Why do I worry?

I come from a family of worriers, so maybe there is some worrying gene that has been passed down to me, but I am definitely a worry wart. I worry about everything. I worry about Tyler getting into an accident on the way to work, about the health of some of my friends and family members, about the price of gas, about all the trash and gross stuff my kids are going to have to deal with when they are older. I worry about whether or not I play enough with my kids, if I am being a good mother and taking full advantage of this blessing to be able to stay home with my kids. I worry about selling this house in a couple of years, about the health of my family, about how busy Tyler is all the time, and about supporting him while he is doing all this stuff. I worry about being away from our families, about being able to have another baby, and about teaching my kids about the gospel so they will be able to deal with all the trash they will face. And then I look at my husband, always so calm and steady. I wonder how he does it with all the stress he has in his life. Sometimes I wish I could see him being the freaked out one, and I could be the calm and steady one! But I guess that is why we are such a great match. He helps me to calm down and to have perspective! And it makes me so grateful for the gospel. Almost all the things I worry about are able to be calmed and answered through the gospel. And that makes me feel much better. I am sure that some of you reading this are thinking, "Man, this girl needs to chill!" But even while I worry about things, I also marvel at everything. I marvel at my wonderful, supportive husband (see previous post). I marvel at my adorable boys (see previous posts). I marvel at the blessings we have enjoyed because we moved to St. Louis. I marvel at the joy our family has. I marvel at the blessings that have come to us when we have faith. I marvel at the peace the gospel gives me even when I have all these things I worry about. To quote President Hinckley, "Things will work out." So while I am sure to always be a worrier, sometimes I just need to ask myself, "Why do I worry?" Things really will work out.

1 comment: