Friday, December 18, 2009

New and Old Traditions

This year we started a new tradition. Tyler had heard from a co-worker about a book called "Elf on the Shelf." It is about this elf that visits you through the holidays, checking to see if you have been naughty or nice. Each night he reports back to Santa and then flies back to your house, finding a new place to sit each night. My kids have loved it! That is the first thing they do every morning, go and find the elf. They even go talk to him, to tell him when they have done nice things. And I'll tell you I've noticed a difference in their behavior! Too bad I can't keep him out all year! But then the novelty will wear off! But I think I am going to have him leave a note on Christmas Eve saying he is going back to Santa, but will be visiting throughout the year, to check up on them! One night I woke up at about 3 realizing I hadn't moved the elf, so I got out of bed, half asleep, and went to moved him, not knowing that Tyler had done it already. I couldn't find him anywhere, and for about 30 seconds, in my half asleep state, I thought, "This elf isn't here, Santa must be real and he really does fly to the North Pole every night!" Then I found him. But it was magical for those 30 seconds! I really do wish that was one myth that was real!

Here are a few of the placed he has been found.

We've also done some of our established traditions, like making a gingerbread house. Tyler was the frosting guy, the kids put the candy on, and I took the pictures. Within 1 day all the candy was gone and that is left is the gross, hard, gingerbread. But they had fun making it!


1 comment:

Kim said...

That elf is awesome! A bit creepy, but awesome! Your gingerbread house was very impressive. The candy is definitely the best part :)