Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Letting go a little at a time

Today Isaac and Luke started summer school. Both were so excited. They were up at 6am this morning wanting to go. I, on the other hand, wasn't so excited. First I was giving myself lots of Mommy guilt. The unnecessary kind of guild that a mother gives herself. I was feeling guilty that I was sending them off to summer school, and not spending the time with them. But Luke was SO excited to take some science classes, and Isaac wants to do everything Luke does. And if my kids are so excited to learn and go to school, I certainly don't want to discourage that. But I was giving myself guilt still. And second, I was sending Isaac off to school all day for the first time. And it wasn't any easier the second time. I cried, just like I did with Luke. It is so hard to let your children go, even a little. I saw the nervous excitement on Isaac's face, and I just wanted to take his hand and go with him every step of the way, to make sure he would be all right, make sure he got to the right place, make sure he made friends, make sure that everyone knew what an awesome little boy he is. But I can't do that. And even though I want to do that, I really don't because I want him to grow in ways that he only can if I let go.

So, here he is, all ready for his next adventure. Can you see the apprehension and excitement in his face?

Then here is Luke, excited, but calm. He's been there, done that!

Even though it was still hard the second time, it was just a little bit easier because I knew Isaac had his big brother to look out for him. They may tease each other, but they also take care of each other!

Looking for bugs before the bus got there.

Getting ready to let go!

Right before he got on the bus, he turned around and gave me the sweetest smile. It made my heart melt and made me want to go grab him by the hand! I was sad I just missed getting it with the camera.

I am so glad I have this little guy at home. If I didn't, I probably would have spent the whole day crying. Not just because I was letting go of Isaac a little, but also mourning for the children I thought I would have. SO GLAD I HAVE YOU ANDREW!!

He made it home, safe and sound. He had lots of fun, is growing in many ways, and still walked straight back into my arms.

And was completely worn out. :)


6 comments:

Kim said...

I, for one, can vouch for how great it is to have an older sibling help you along the way :) I sure am blessed to have you!

I'm so glad you have Andrew too! Love you guys!

Kim said...

P.S. I love Andrew's new haircut!

Tera said...

I have to tell ya, I would have a hard time letting my kids go out into the world. But you are right, he has lots to learn. Don't worry, you have taught him well!

Kathe said...

I know exactly how you felt. It is so wonderful to have a big brother. That made me feel so much better for Anthony and Lucas.

p.s. Isaac is sooo cute.

Stephen and Kjerstin said...

I love those handsome boys! I also LOVE Andrew's new summer do! Hugs and kisses from their aunt and uncle!!

Angie said...

Jen, your boys are really quite adorable! I think it's great that they love learning so much that they want to go to summer school. You must be doing something right!