Today was Luke's first day of Kindergarten Academy. It is a summer program, run by the school district that is pretty much preschool curriculum, with a kindergarten schedule. He got to ride the bus and was there ALL DAY! He was very excited, especially about the bus and playing on the playground he saw in the picture. His Mom on the other hand, was very nervous! As he got on the bus it was all I could do to hold my tears back until he was gone. Luke on the other hand, went to get on the bus and I had to call him back to give me a kiss. Then he just climbed right on, sat down and waved some more from the window. But I cried the whole way home then called Tyler and cried some more. Isaac was wondering what was wrong with his crazy Mom! I just kept worrying about whether he will be able to find his class, who he would sit by at lunch, would he remember to bring home his lunch box, would he be okay getting on and off the bus...things that I am sure all Mom's have worried about as their kids start school. I had a dream soon after I had signed him up for kindergarten academy where I sent him to school without a lunch and without shoes, then I forgot to pick him up from the bus stop and when I went down to get him he was laying in the grass, completely exhausted. I am glad that none of this came true! He set off, looking very handsome and wearing shoes and with his lunch box in his backpack. And after school I had to wait 20 minutes at the bus stop, because I wasn't exactly sure when it got there!
I think he enjoyed it. After many questions I finally got some info out of him. They read David goes to School and 10 Little Fish, Mason from preschool was there, Madison wasn't there today, Mrs. Shuler calls the girls ladies and the boys gentlemen, there are two slides, he opened his juice box without help (we have been practicing), he had a rest time, they went to the cafeteria first, and they watched a movie about a bus that turns into a spaceship (I am assuming The Magic School Bus). He also told me there was a kid there named Martian Man Hunter. If you aren't familiar with Super-man (and I am not, I just know we have this guy as an action figure) then this will make no sense to you, but I guess he is in the comics and on Smallville--all of this I know from Tyler, who knows it because he Googled it when we got the toy. He also told me there was a girl there who smelled bad. I asked him if he told her that, and to my horror he said yes! Which led to a little talk about how that would hurt her feelings and we need to say nice things to people and that was not a nice thing to say. He eventually agreed, although at first he just kept insisting that she was stinky. So I said, even if she was, it still wasn't a nice thing to say. The brutal honesty of children, especially ones that aren't shy! But overall it was a success and he is excited to go back tomorrow! And I survived too! This small part of me is feeling very guilty though, because it was a little bit nice to have a quieter house and I definitely enjoyed Isaac's nap time. I feel guilty because he is growing up so fast and I shouldn't wish for him to be gone, he will be before I know it! I did enjoy my time with Isaac. I wondered how he would do, but he was fine and had a good time with just Mommy, but he was very excited to "go get my brother." This is good practice for real kindergarten, he will be in this for 3 1/2 weeks, then have nearly 2 months off before he starts for real.





5 comments:
Jen, I don't know how you mothers send you children to school...even being a school teacher! I think it would be so hard because they seem so little. I am glad you both survived. It will only get easier, right?!
So cute! Luke will be such a good kindergartener! He's lucky to have such good parents!
Yay for Luke! I can't believe he'll be starting kindergarten! I love you!
Jen, you are such a kind, loving and sensitive mom!
They grow up so fast... So do you think it will be easier in August when the real thing starts?
Post a Comment