Friday, August 10, 2012

The Odd Life of Timothy Green

Last night Tyler and I had the chance to go to a pre-screening of The Odd Life of Timothy Green.  It is a show about a couple that can't have children and as they are grieving they write all the qualities they think/wished their child would have and bury it in the garden.  They wake up to find a boy has grown in the garden.  The rest of the show is about the lessons they learn from him.
It was a wonderful movie.  I was crying from the first minute of the show on and off during the rest of the show.  They perfectly conveyed the emotions of a couple that just wants to have a baby and can't.  We obviously could relate to that.  So many things reminded me of what we went though...the stunned silence in the doctors office when you are told the news that you will never get pregnant, the really ugly crying when your heart feels like its breaking,  feeling like you are burying all your dreams.  But then out of the storm comes a miracle...
Obviously Andrew didn't grow out of the garden, but he is just as much a miracle! They also show the instant love you feel for a child that is suddenly yours, no matter how they come  into your family.  One of my favorite lines in the movie is when Timothy's Mom is talking to her sister and her sister says, "I thought you were trying to have a real kid, you know, one of your own." And his Mom says, "He felt like mine from the first minute I laid eyes on him."
I know that feeling too.  Andrew was mine from the minute I laid eyes on him.  I am so thankful for adoption, and so incredibly thankful for Andrew's birth mother, the love she has for Andrew, and for the gift she has given us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been wanting to see this movie and now I want to see it even more. Thanks for sharing.

Kim said...

I love Andrew, I love his birth mom, and I love you and Tyler!!