Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Facebook

So here is a Facebook thread of comments that I got involved in. I took off everyone's name for their privacy, but I am about 99.9% sure that none of them read my blog, since the only person in the thread that I actually know is the person who made the status update. Tell me what you think...

okay so do I let her "cry it out" tonight? not sure if that or feeding will make me more tired for a very early work day. wish I could pass this part of parenting off to an expert.
11 hours ago via BlackBerry · ·

    • Hugs!!!!!!
      11 hours ago ·

    • Hey.... not sure if you were really looking for advice or just venting on FB, but I have never been a fan of letting my babies "cry it out". I am a huge fan of the attachment parenting style. Dr. Sears has some great advice, if you aren't familiar with him, you should check him out (I know, in all your "free time" right?)
      Anyway, here is a great part about "crying it out"

      http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp#T051205

      Good luck! xo
      10 hours ago · · 2 people

    • Sorry, I just realized the link doesn't take you to the crying it out section. The part I was trying to get you to is the 5th line down, "letting baby cry it out yes, no!"
      9 hours ago ·

    • parenting is tough stuff. Hope "EM" and U got some sleep
      5 hours ago ·
    • Jennifer Box Erickson
      I just have to put my two cents in favor of "cry it out." :) I realize everyone has different parenting styles and there is no "right" answer, but I think it is important to help babies learn to fall asleep on their own. My 5 month old, who had previously been sleeping though the night, started waking up in the middle of the night. I let him "Cry it out." I would go in rub his back, then leave. It only took three nights and the longest time he cried was 20 minutes of on and off crying. Now nights are great and his naps improved too. And I think he is still really attached to me. :) I like to compare it to a shot, you know it will make them cry, but you know it is good for them, so you do it. But that being said, you do what you feel is best for you and baby, and you are doing exactly right. :)
      2 hours ago · · 1 person

    • My first three all started sleeping through the night around 2 months, then starting waking again at 7 months. i let them cry it out and it was horrible... I would sit there and cry at the other end of the monitor. Dallyn never did sleep through the night consistently (at 16 months he still wakes up every now and then). I tried the cry it out thing with him around 5 months and it just plain didn't work. I eventually felt like I was torturing him and that I would get. more sleep if I just got him. Usually a baby is waking up because they need something and they don't have the ability to reason that they're ok and they're just tired or that they'll get fed in the morning. I'd go with your parental instincts on this one. If you need help or support Dr. Sears is a great resource as well as the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution" or "The Happiest Baby on The Block".
      2 hours ago · · 1 person

    • Jennifer: Normally I wouldn't repost, but your comment that "crying it out" is good for a baby is not true and is actually quite harmful. There are some pretty good studies to back that up.
      http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/handout2.asp
      about an hour ago · · 1 person

    • Cry it out. Just put a pillow over your head or take some Ambien. She will live and survive and you will be so happy you did! Good luck.
      about an hour ago ·

    • My babies are now 14-21..I say 'Do whatever works for YOU'. I myself am a big believer in letting them cry it out. My kids survived and guess what....they LOVE ME!!! hahaha
      about an hour ago ·

    • I, too, am a fan of Dr Sears. Samson has never really "slept through the night", he still wakes up once or twice a night for a quick snack. I look at it like this, he's a baby and he needs my love and affection day and night and still has the occasional hunger during the night, so I'm not going to deny him of that. If I look at it that way and not let the night wakings get to me, then it makes it easier to attend to him at night. I truly think that a baby will learn to self soothe when they are developmentally ready, just like with crawling or walking. They need time to learn dependence before they can learn independence. Also, keep in mind that she's 7 months old. She was in your womb eating and sleeping and being soothed by your movements and heartbeat for 9 months. Good luck! And just remember that only you and Ryan are the expert of your baby.
      52 minutes ago · · 1 person

    • Ethan just bairley started what I call 'sleeping through the night'. the past few nights. Good luck, its hard not sleeping!
      21 minutes ago ·

    • I do the timing thing I dont know what its called but when they are crying go in and soothe them and then leave if they start crying wait a few minutes longer than the first time you went in, go in and soothe them for a shoter amount of time. Basically going into the room less and less and touching them less and less so they learn that you are still there but they need to be able to comfort themsevles too. Its so hard trying to decide what to do! I hope you figure it out! Good luck!! Im sure whatever YOU feel is best will work best for you and your little angel.
      17 minutes ago ·
    • Jennifer Box Erickson Everyone does what they feel is best for them and their baby. I do not feel like I harmed my baby in anyway, I love him to pieces, he gets plenty of affection and love, and if you could see the rolls he has you know he isn't starving. He is happy, I am happy, it works for us. We all do what works for us, and thank goodness there are lots of options out there because no two parents or children are alike.
      13 minutes ago ·
I realize there are lots of opinions out there, and that's fine. But I was a little irritated to be told that I am harming my baby for letting him cry for 20 minutes. Parenting is hard enough without other people telling you their way is right way and you are wrong. If you want to wake up several times a night with your baby, that's fine with me. But don't tell me I am harming mine and not showing him affection because I would rather sleep at night. Just sayin'. :)

5 comments:

Stephen and Kjerstin said...

I am TOTALLY with you Jen. I think you are a fantastic mother and I see NOTHING wrong with what you are doing. Not that I know...I'm not a mom, but I feel like I'd do the exact same thing you are doing! I love you!!

Stephen and Kjerstin said...

I am TOTALLY with you Jen. I think you are a fantastic mother and I see NOTHING wrong with what you are doing. Not that I know...I'm not a mom, but I feel like I'd do the exact same thing you are doing! I love you!!

Kimberly said...

I just let mine cry it out last week. We were getting up 4-5 times a night and I reached a point where I wasn't a good mom during the day because I was so tired! Last night he didn't wake up until 5 and slept again until after 7. Now I'm a happy, rested mom. That really is annoying that someone would say you were harming your baby and your relationship. They just don't have the strength to do it. And notice that their kids are all still getting up multiple time nightly!

Kimbrough's in St. Louis said...

I have done the same thing with both of my boys. There comes a time when you are know your child and it is time to for him/her to learn how to go to sleep and stay asleep on their own. We each parent in our own way and have the right too. Of course as long as there is no abuse, which this is not!!!!! You are doing a great job with Andrew! Hugs!

Kellie said...

At our house, a tired mom is a grouchy mom. So everyone is better off when the baby has learned to be a good sleeper, which usally means a few cry it out nights. But I guess if other moms are happier getting up all night, more power to them.