Thursday, March 3, 2011

Honor Code

I am sure most of you have heard about the BYU center that was kicked off the basketball team for violating the Honor Code. Since BYU's b-ball team is really good this year, the story have gotten a lot of attention, even all the way out here in St. Louis. Most everything I have heard has been fairly positive. Most people, while they may not agree with the honor code, are applauding BYU for being consistent with its rules, even if it may cost them a national championship. In a world where most schools will do just about anything, and sweep things under the rug whenever they can, just so they can win, I am proud that BYU will stand up for what they believe to be right, and hold their students, all of them, to the Honor Code. All students when they decide to come to BYU know what they are agreeing too. I heard a really interesting conversation on ESPN radio today. They were talking about whether or not the Honor Code is holding BYU back in sports. I tried to find the link for it, but it isn't up yet, I think because I just heard it like an hour ago! The sports caster brought up several positives that the Honor Code brings to an athletic program. For one thing, BYU rarely has to worry about all the shenanigans that other school have to worry about, like their athletes getting DUI's, cheating in school, stealing things, getting into fights etc. Stories like that are all over the place if you follow sports. He also mentioned that athletes are rarely ever dismissed due to honor code violations, he said it was like 1-3%. Which shows that most of them are keeping the Honor Code. It is possible! That is something else that has been interesting in the conversations that I have heard. Some people think it is unrealistic to expect college students to follow the Honor Code. It is sad to me that people think that it is unrealistic to expect people to abstain from alcohol and sex. It is possible to live like that! I do feel sorry for Brandon Davies though, that his mistake has become so public. And sorry for the rest of the team for the affect this has on them as well. They can still get it done! :)
This is such a random post, but it's been on my mind lately. It does make me proud to be a Cougar though and I will be cheering the team on through the whole tournament!

3 comments:

Tera said...

Go COUGS! They can still do it. I have faith in them.

Heather said...

Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven...

Heather said...

OOPS! That was Mom.