Monday, May 17, 2010

Kindergarten awards and Adoption Conference

We were busy this past weekend! Tyler took Friday off because Luke had a kindergarten singing program and award show in the morning, them we took off for Nauvoo for an adoption conference.

Here is Luke singing some Hawaiian songs, he was so cute! I can't believe he is almost done with kindergarten! I am looking forward to summer to have my boy back with my during the day.
After the singing, we went back to his classroom for the awards. Luke got 3rd place for reading books, he read 370 of them. He actually read more, but sometimes we weren't very good at recording them! He also got a 6 Flags ticket for reading as well as an Excellent Attendance award.


Here he is looking oh so excited about his award!

After the program we checked Luke out of school (good thing he already got the excellent attendance award!) and went to Nauvoo.

We had lots of fun camping. We got there Friday afternoon, set up the tent and played around until the Families Supporting Adoption picnic at 5:00. It was fun to meet families that have already adopted, and a few like us who are hoping to adopt soon.

Then we went back to our tent and started the fire. The fire was the best part of course!



Eating smore's.

Isaac didn't like smores. He preferred to stick a marshmallow on the roasting stick and then eat it, without even roasting it.

Chopping firewood. What a manly man!

Silly faces.

Then I told them to smile. They didn't listen. :)

Then it was a long night that did not include a lot of sleeping on my part, although the kids slept just fine, Tyler got slightly more sleep than me. It was fun though!

In the morning we went to the rest of the Conference. The Young Women of Nauvoo watched the kids and Tyler and I went to several classes. We went to a dealing with infertility class, a finding vs. waiting class, and an openness with the birthmother class. All of them were excellent. Tyler and I both learned a lot, enjoyed meeting and talking to people who know how we feel, and I felt like it even helped Tyler and I become even closer and understand each other better. There also was a birthmother panel where we got to ask questions and hear their stories of how they made the decision to place their baby for adoption. All in all it was an awesome experience, emotional, spiritual, and fun. I am so glad we went.

After that we had a few hours to go see things in Nauvoo. We went there 2 times last summer, so we just did the things the boys wanted to do, which were, the Pioneer Past Time games, we were there for over an hour, then the Browning home and gun shop, the blacksmith and the brickyard. Luke was so cute, he kept saying he wants to move to Nauvoo. I love that he feels that, because, while Nauvoo is an amazing place to visit, it isn't exciting in the way you would think kids would most like, so I know that Luke likes going there so much because he can feel the Spirit. I know I could. It was an awesome trip!

5 comments:

Kellie said...

Fun weekend, fun pictures!

Robin Erickson said...

What great pictures! The boys are so handsome. It's fun to see the family bonding going on. When I saw the picture of Tyler chopping wood it reminded me of his scouting days! He loved it ( I think). I'm glad the Conference was informative and helpful. I laughed when I read that you didn't sleep. I grew up camping but I'm not sure I could (or want) to do it now! Smart, cute boys!

Tera said...

SO glad you had a good time and learned a lot. There is just something about interacting with people who know what you are going through.

Kimbrough's in St. Louis said...

All in all in sounds like a great family weekend.

Kim said...

I'm so happy you guys had such a great time! Can't wait to see you guys!