Tuesday, July 14, 2009

there some more...

Well, there is more to tell. But I am feeling better than I was the last time I posted, in spite of some "news" from my new doctor. So, here is the story. Yesterday I called and left a message with my doctors office to see what do to next. She called me back with a new diagnosis. But first let me go back to almost exactly a year ago. Last July I had an HSG test done where they check your tubes and uterus. After having that test, both the doctor who preformed the test and my regular doctor said that one tube looked fine, and that one was possibly blocked, but they didn't think that it was, they thought it was more likely that it just spasmed during the test, which apparently can happen. So, based on this information we went ahead and had the 4 IUI's. So, fast forward a year, I now have switched doctors to a reproductive endocrinologist, and all of my previous test are sent to her. She looks at my HSG test and thinks that it isn't normal and that BOTH of my tubes are blocked. So, if she is correct, that means that none of these IUI's would have worked anyway, and that our only option for conceiving now is IVF, since apparently it isn't something that can be repaired. Plus, she mentioned that she is concerned that if I do conceive this way, it could possible be ectopic, and that worries me too. So, yesterday ended up being a pretty hard day for me as well.

First of all, I am confused about the two different diagnosis's, esp. since right after I had the HSG test done, the doctor who did it didn't say anything about them being blocked, and in fact said that one of them was fine. So, my new doctor suggested that we have the test done again, just to make sure and to get a "second opinion."

On top of that, dealing with the possible reality that I may not get pregnant again, and that if I do, it is going to be expensive and probably won't happen quickly. And then, on top of that, dealing with some frustration that if I was misdiagnosed, then this past year and all the procedures done and the money spent were all for nothing, since, if my new doctor is right, none of this would have worked if both of my tubes are blocked.

But in some ways it is nice to possibly know the reasons why. It makes our options more clear, either IVF or adoption. Both Tyler and I feel that our family isn't complete and we will just have to prayerfully decide what is best for our family and then make a plan for it to happen financially.

I just wanted to say thank you to all of my family and friends for your kind words and prayers. They help more than you could possibly know! Love you all!

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

If they are both blocked, that makes the 2 boys you have even more of miracles! I definately would do the test again. My sister in law has all her kids IVF it's expensive, but what can you do? I don't know what an IUI is, but she did some AI's (I think that's what it is) it's almost IVF but they don't take your eggs, they just inject you while you are ovulating. Anyways.. Good Luck, I'll keep you in my thoughts!

Tera said...

I am glad they know what is possibly wrong. IVF isn't all bad...I survived. Even though it isn't the best of news, at least you have a start. It is amazing what they CAN do to help those that can't get pregnant on their own. It will all work out and you will know what to do!

Kellie said...

How do your tubes become blocked? I'm so glad that if they both are blocked that you didn't have an ectopic pregnancy. I've heard terrible things about those. Let me know if you need me to watch your kids for any of your appointments, I'd be happy too.

Karma said...

Wow. I am so sorry. I hope you get some definitive answers soon.

Lyndsie said...

Jen, I could I written your last post (almost). I have the same feelings a lot!!! It is totally normal!!! I have known 100's of women that have gone through infertility and they all have the same feelings!! I am so glad that you are seeing a RE. I hope that they can figure out what is going on and do what it takes to get you pregnant. IVF is hard and expensive but so worth it!!! To get my last baby I did 4 IUI's (3 resulted in a pregnancy but I miscarried) and then I did 4 IVF + ICSI cycles. I finally got pregnant on the 4th and it stuck. Message me if you need to talk or cry or anything!!! I understand what it is like to already have kids and want more!!! Hang in there!!! :)