Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Don't forget to floss and other stuff...

We have had some medical/dental issues over the past week or two. It started with Luke going to the dentist for the first time and finding out that he had cavities! I was feeling a lot of "Mommy guilt" since I am the one who mainly brushes his teeth. I felt like I had been doing a good job, but then I notice a dark spot on one of his back teeth, leading to me making a dentist appointment. The dentist told me he could tell it had started in between his teeth and that I should start flossing him. It had actually never occurred to me to floss my kids teeth. But then the dentist also said that he can pretty much guarantee that Luke is going to need braces eventually (great, we better start saving now!) and that most kids teeth are spaced far enough apart that normal brushing will get in between their teeth. I still felt guilty, but that helped ease my guilt slightly. Luke did great though at the dentist, the hygienist and the dentist were surprised it was his first visit because he did so well. When we were driving home after his cavities had been filled he kept saying "The dentist made my mouth feel funny," then he would suggest things that he thought would make it feel better, like getting a drink or brushing his teeth, or spitting.


Here is Luke with his "funny mouth" as he called it. Unfortunately, he seems to have gotten the worst of his Mom's and Dad's teeth. I have always been prone to cavities and Tyler had braces. We did get some good news at the dentist about Isaac. His teeth look great and the dentist said you could have fooled him that Isaac is a thumb sucker, because his bite looks really good. So, if we could just get Isaac to stop sucking his thumb, maybe we won't have two boys with braces!

Isaac also had a little issue. Last weekend he started getting this really gross stuff seeping out of the edges of his eyes. On Sunday morning, he couldn't open his eyes until I had wiped them out. Poor kid! So, Monday morning I called the doctor and luckily I didn't even need to take him in which I was very glad about. I didn't want to take him in just to have them tell me he had an eye infection, I already knew that! They just prescribed him some drops and they worked like a charm! No more glued together eyes! I took this picture the first day he started the eye drops and they already were looking better!


Tyler and I have managed to stay healthy. Tyler is back at school. He had finals two weeks ago, (did really great, by the way) and then he had a week off. I have started a scrapbook enrichment group and have been doing some painting and decorating around the house. Pictures of my projects to come!

2 comments:

Tera said...

The joys of being a mother...I glad all turned out well! You are a terrific mom and I hope you had a wonderful mother's day! Can't wait to see what projects you are working on. Maybe it will inspire me.

Kim said...

I miss you guys!!!